#navbar-iframe { display: none !important;} The Naked Page: Seducing the Muse

The Naked Page

Author Jamie Sobrato's Diary

2.07.2006

Seducing the Muse

I finished my book last week, and now I have 500 things to do that were put off thanks to deadline mania. But really, as creative people, we have to think about more than the to-do list when we are balancing our work schedules with our lives. The creative muse is very subtle in her demands, but when neglected, she can be a bitch to win back.

So while I know it's important that I tackle all these tasks waiting to be done, I also know I have to find some time to refill my creative well just by relaxing and having fun, reading books and watching movies and going outside for walks and staring at the sky. Easier said than done. But if I don't make time for the fun stuff, my writing will become stale and dry, or worse, it will stall out--there will be no writing at all.

So, do you make time to seduce your muse regularly? Do you??? Tell the truth. I'll admit I do it less often than I should. I should make time for a little muse seduction every day. And for the next week or so, I will make it a priority to have a little fun and not let the un-fun stuff overwhelm me.

What are your favorite muse seduction techniques? What do you do that really gets you excited about being creative again?

6 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger gNat said...

Hi, Jamie

Like you, I tend to skimp on the well-refilling part. I always feel guilty when I'm away from the computer and yet, when I force myself to immediately jump on the next story . . . blech. It's like running on empty. One thing I do like to do is a between-projects book binge, since I don't read new stuff while I'm working on first drafts. Oh, and shopping. Of course.

Nat

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

Hey Nat! I should try a book binge. Unfortunately reading one entire book constitutes a binge for me in recent years. I did actually manage to read a few in a row during last summer's RWA converence (traveling to and from), and that felt like a major luxury.

Hmm, a writer who doesn't have time to read? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Or bad writing. Urgh. Must remedy this.

I hereby vow to read a bunch of books in the next month...oh, well, okay, I can only say that because i have a pile of Rita entries to judge.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, a writer who doesn't have time to read?

This is me. I hardly ever read anymore because that takes a couple of hours of free time that I should be using to write. However, since I'm having a slow (read: procrastination-filled) writing week, I did pick up a couple of recent Blazes. I'm halfway through Room Service by Jill Shalvis and grrrr!! Woo. I hope I can write like that someday.

Does that mean I have two heroes now? ;-) Maybe I should change my name to something that starts with J. Well, my last name does... can I count that?

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

You could be Jelissa. How's that? Hmm? Oh? You don't like?

For a while among the Temptation authors, we had "J" power. Lots of authors with first names that begin with J in that group.

Anyway, good for you making time to read! I just put the Rita books I have to judge on the table next to me. Next step: open books and read pages.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the best time to mull over new ideas is in the bathtub at the end of the day, after the kids are in bed. Preferably with a glass of wine.

I need the quiet to think about new ideas. Though truthfully, more actually come to me while I'm in the process of writing. Meditating in the tub seems to be a good time to streamline the whole thing.

I just picked up a new Anne Bishop book yesterday. She is one of the most inventive fantasy writers I've ever read. I think it's great to read author's like her because it's a good lesson in thinking "outside the box."

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

Theresa, I think the shower or bathtub is one of the best places to think about story ideas or problems. I don't know what it is...maybe just that it's a place with no other distractions, and the hot water helps us relax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home