#navbar-iframe { display: none !important;} The Naked Page: Suicidal Electronics

The Naked Page

Author Jamie Sobrato's Diary

8.24.2005

Suicidal Electronics

My laptop and I, as I think I've mentioned here before, have a tenuous relationship at best. Last spring I started shopping for a new laptop computer, preferably a sexy little thing under 4 lbs, and in pink. Yes, believe it or not, there are pink computers. Hard to find, but they're out there. I'm too lazy to go looking for a link right now.

Anyway, soon as I started my traitorous shopping, the elder laptop took a suicidal dive out of my hands as I was walking around the house. Did I mention that he has a weight problem? Yes, it's true, he weighs in at over 8 lbs, and is hell to haul through airports.

So Lappy barely survived the suicide attempt. We nursed him back to health, and all seemed to be well again. I stopped shopping for a replacement, realizing during those harrowing days when we worried that his suicide might have been successful that he was a pretty good and useful laptop and didn't really need to be replaced yet.

Then comes this weekend, when I foolishly decided to purchase a new AlphaSmart Dana. This device is meant to be a replacement for my old Alphie 3000 moreso than the laptop, but he took offense. Bigtime. Two days after the purchase, the laptop's harddrive crashed.

Another suicide attempt? I think so. Dana isn't even here yet, and already my manic depressive Lappy has taken issue with it.

As I type this, I'm on hold with Dell tech support, hoping against hope that there will be some way to salvage all those photos and files I forgot to back up this summer while we were traveling and I had other things on my mind besides harddrive crashes.

Wish me luck. Will report back soon on what I think about Dana. If this stupid laptop can't be loyal, I don't see any reason not to slut around myself.

5 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie, if tech support ends up being useless, my husband might be able to help you out. He's a Dell techie himself and fixes our (multiple) computers all the time. :-)

~Melissa J

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you're going through, Jamie. This weekend I have to replace both my Mac laptop and desktop computers. They are only 6-7 years old, which in human years is probably 90, and I can't do much of anything on the Internet anymore because of how old the operating systems are. So, when I decided a few weeks ago to start researching what I wanted to buy, I swear my laptop decided, "to hell with her!" and has been acting up and bombing on me about every time I use it. I'm telling you, these things have a mind of their own and probably figure, "I'll show you! If I'm going to be replaced, I'm just going to commit suicide first!" Jeez!

Christina
www.christinaarbini.com

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

Melissa J, thank you for the offer of your hubby's help! I'll let you know... Dell tech support was not able to fix things, but my husband has a few more solutions to try before we declare it all lost.

Christina, hugs on the wacked out computer. It's scary how dependent we've become on these temperamental machines.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about copper electronics and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about copper electronics so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"
copper electronics

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about sports layout. I have a website about sports layout which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home