#navbar-iframe { display: none !important;} The Naked Page: Synopsis Purgatory

The Naked Page

Author Jamie Sobrato's Diary

6.07.2005

Synopsis Purgatory

Urgh.

Let me say that again: URGH!

Have I mentioned how much I hate writing synopses? The thing I hate more than writing them is revising them. URGH.

What's a synopsis, you ask? It's a summary of a novel, written before the book is written for the purpose of driving the author and insane and hopefully also selling the unwritten book to a publisher. Some weird, masochistic authors actually love writing them. I have a strong urge to chase down these authors with a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other.

Anyway, I'm revising a synopsis. Have been revising it for over a week now. Mostly this involved staring at my computer screen, deleting a sentence, writing a new sentence, and then deleting it too. Then I check my email. Then I go check out the sale at the Victoria's Secret website. Then I go to the kitchen and get myself some tea. On my way there I remember the laundry needs doing, then I realize I need to start dinner, then someone calls on the phone, then my kids get in a knock-down, drag-out fight over a pink dinosaur. Then I notice the garbage needs taking out. Whenever I finally return to my computer, I see that my critique partner (Hi Cindy!) has written me an urgent message about an American Idol contestant that requires an immediate reply.

This is how it's taken me over a week to revise a synopsis I'm still not finished revising. Urgh.

I must finish it today. I WILL finish it today. You heard it here first.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won't finish it if I have anything to do with it! How dare you finish yours when I haven't started writing mine. I'm still working the bleeping partial.

Oh, yeah, Bo was on some morning news show last week. Sang with his guitar. Did great. Poor Carrie, meanwhile, is splashed all over the cover of the National Enquirer. I read the covers in the Safeway lineup...

Now stop distracting me with your blog, woman! I gotta work!

Cindy

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

Why is Carrie on the NE cover?

(Oh, and do you really expect me to believe you only read the tabloid in the grocery store line? That you didn't take it home and read every page front and back? Hmm?)

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, yes, I only read the tabloid covers in the grocery store line-up! (I do buy People sometime - does that count as a tabloid?)

They said she had affairs with both Bo and Anthony, LOL. Anthony??? Tiny pix of them. Huge pic of poor Carrie.

Pretty sad what they need to do to roust circulation.

Cindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home