#navbar-iframe { display: none !important;} The Naked Page: American Idolatry

The Naked Page

Author Jamie Sobrato's Diary

5.26.2005

American Idolatry

I have to say this: Yaaaaaay!!!! Carrie Underwood won American Idol!!!! Whooohoooooo!!!!

Ahem. I'll spare you any further whoopin' and hollerin'. I just think Carrie kicks butt (and I can usually be found listening to old-school R&B, not country).

It was a bit of suffering to have to sit through that whole damn 2-hour show to find out the winner though. Urk. The whole Simon-Paula fakey-fake drama thing is beyond stupid.

And what was with Constantine, Nadia, and Jessica singing Walk This Way? Truly painful to watch. And Jessica in a belly shirt?! No. That's just wrong.

I was a bit sad to see some of the unjustly voted off Idols on stage last night, singing such unsuitable songs. I do think the right person won in the end, but if I were queen of the universe, here's who the top 6 would have been:

1. Carrie
2. Constantine
3. Bo
4. Vonzell
5. Anwar
6. Nadia

Okay, okay, other than Carrie, I might be a little off on the order. I wouldn't argue that Bo deserved to be in the top two--he just didn't pick many songs I liked. Interesting to note, I started out wanting Constantine voted off immediately. Couldn't stand his whole screechy rocker thing, but each week, he impressed me more and more. I think Anwar could have grown some too if he'd stayed in the competition longer--he needs to find his niche. Nadia suffered from more than a few poor song choices (but benefited from having the best fashion sense of anyone ever to stand on the AI stage), and Vonzell needed to be a little more unique.

So that's my AI wrap-up. Next time, it's back to our regularly scheduled programming. All me, all the time.

4 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie, Jamie,

I loved Walk This Way! Also loved the spoof on PA's alleged affair with CC.

Carrie did good and deserved to win, but I doubt I'll buy her CD when it comes out (well, maybe for the dh; he's a country music fan). I'm a ho for Bo! Love his music, wish he'd won. But I saw the Carrie writing on the wall.

My perfect universe:

1. Bo
2. Constantine

and, really, I'd have to have seen them both in the finals to truly decide - Constantine is great

3. Vonzell
4. Carrie

Carrie is very talented - just not my preferred taste in music. But I think she'll blow the top off the country music world. And good for her.

Back to you, you, you.

Cindy

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

You big Bo Ho.

But seriously, I'm glad you're at peace with his ousting by Carrie. :-)

I agree, it's hard to say who would win between Constantine and Bo, if they'd had the chance to compete neck and neck.

I will definitely buy Carrie's CD and follow her career. She gets credit for rekindling my interest in the country music genre.

But now that AI is off the air for a while, what will we debate over every week?!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Cindy on this one! My husband witnessed my excessive Bo-drool and threatened to put me on the couch.

~Melissa, comforted only by the knowledge that second place or not, he's still got an album coming out :)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

I dunno, Bo looked kind of short to me on stage. And I'm tall-ish and almost always wear heels, so I don't drool for guys I could tower over.

The thing I liked best about Bo is that his identity wasn't all tied up in winning AI. It was like he could take it or leave it, which made seeing him not win easier. I couldn't have stomached watching a guy his age lose it over coming in second. I think things worked out for the best, because he still got the car, the exposure, and surely a record contract.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home