#navbar-iframe { display: none !important;} The Naked Page: See You In Atlanta

The Naked Page

Author Jamie Sobrato's Diary

7.23.2006

See You In Atlanta

This is the week of insanity and frantic last-minute wardrobe planning for those of us in the romance writing world. In a few days we will all board planes to Atlanta and converge on that big sweaty city for a week of industry networking and gossip, a week of editor and agent meetings, a week of catching up with the writer friends we don't see all year.

And of course, since we've spent the other 360 days of the year mostly alone except for the imaginary people and voices inside our own heads, we are an interesting group to observe in such an intensely social setting.

If you're going to be in Atlanta on Wednesday, July 26th, stop by the Marriott Marquis downtown, 5:30-8:30 PM, for RWA's annual literacy autographing, where a buttload of authors (including me!), will be crammed into a giant room signing books. It's fun, it's dizzying, and it's a good cause. Plus, I occasionally like someone to stop by my table and pretend they're a fan of mine, and who better to do that than Naked Page people?

Here's a link to a complete list of authors attending.

And if you're going to be at the conference, I hope you'll say hi if you see me wandering the hotel.

I'll try to report in here to let you non-conference-goers know what's going on. Bethany has a head injury, and she's going to be my roommate this year. This should be fun. Well, she's not going to be my roommate because of the head injury, though that might make more sense (Does she realize what she's getting into? Actually, she does--she's had the misfortune of sharing sleazy hotel rooms around Europe with me...). I will not tell the story of how she got the head injury here, but I am tempted to make up something good.

Oh, and need I point out that this your last week to find The Sex Quotient in regular stores? Yes, I must point it out. You can buy an autographed copy at the literacy thing Wednesday night, by the way. I think there might be copies of Once Upon a Seduction there for me to sign too.

16 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't nice to make fun of people with head injuries.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

See. She's even forgotten her own name. Note to anonymous: your name is Beverly.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Hmmm... if i was going to be in Hot-lanta... I'd stop by... maybe ask ya ta dinner... ok... one of two... (ok maybe two of two) but i'm not going to be in Hot-lanta. So the point's moot... but it's fun to imagine. :-) Two of two... definitely. :-D

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't have too much fun without me!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Tim said...

How was Hot-lanta? Just wondering. :-D

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where does Hot-lanta come from? Is it a marketing strategy used by Atlanta, or a nick-name from some other source?

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tim said...

I got it, I think, from ESPN watching SportsCenter a few years ago. I think they were talking about the Braves, considering that's been the only Atlanta team really worth talking about since the Falcons' Super Bowl run.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jamie Sobrato said...

Did I actually go to Atlanta? Oh, right, the RWA conference. Of course.

I've got a book due soon and have trouble remembering anything that isn't about me writing the book. In fact, I was writing the book in Atlanta, or attempting to write it, and the whole conference is just a weird, Bethany-tinged blur for me.

Bethany-tinged because she was my roommate, and I actually got to see and talk to her on a regular basis. It's nice rooming with another disorganized type of person, because it means I can scatter my crap everywhere and she won't say anything because her crap is scattered everywhere too. The only downside is that we couldn't let the maids come into the room for fear that they'd vacuum up our earrings or something.

Anyway, to answer your question Tim, the conference, and Atlanta were, um... Somebody help me out here?

I didn't fall in love with that city or anything. It's all sprawling and conjested and guys on the street kept yelling at us to give them money, or something. Now, I live right outside of San Francisco, so it's not like I am unaccustomed to big cities. I just wasn't enamored with this particular one.

The conference itself... For some reason it felt more low key than usual, and maybe that's because we had to stay at the overflow hotel, hence missing some of the traffic going to and from hotel rooms, and for another, the hotel seemed to mostly be good at accomodating such a large conference, so things seemed to run smoothly.

It was the first time I've ever attended a National conference without feeling horribly nervous and freaked out, which might be because my looming deadline seems a much bigger deal, and might be because I had Bethany there to keep me grounded and stuff, and might be just because I've finally met my editor and agent enough times that they feel like old friends rather than people I need to manically try to impress.

Did I learn anything new? Er, not exactly. I did see my October cover though, and it rocks, and I will post it here soon enough.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Tim said...

By the by... this may be no biggie to anyone else... but i hit a HUGE landmark in my writing today. The story I posted about hitting 100 and 200 pages... This week i hit TWO milestones: 250 pages and just today, I hit 100,000 WORDS! :-D Crazy thing is... it's only about 20-25% done... if that much. =-O! And glad to hear about the conference Jamie. :-) Should have a new blog up at Arkhangelspeaks soon too. :-)

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Tim! I was hitting the 100 page mark when I realized I was trying to throw everything-- including the kitchen sink-- I could think of into the story. Major rework going on. But it's all good-- I feel as if I have a solid outline now, just working on fleshing it all out.

Good luck with yours, sounds like an epic!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks... it may just well end up being an epic. It comes from my view of the first draft: throw in the kitchen sink... and while you're at it, why not add the refrigerator, toaster, stove, dishwasher, microwave, washer and dryer along with it. That's what rewrites are for. :-) As Stephen King said in on writing, only God gets it right the first time and only a slob hands in a first draft so I'm not worried about it. :-) And I broke through 275 last night. :-)

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Stephen King said in on writing, only God gets it right the first time and only a slob hands in a first draft so I'm not worried about it. :-) And I broke through 275 last night. :-)

Wow, that's great. You're probably right. It would be better to just write everything down and then hack away at it later. My problem is that I tend to get mired down in self editing and don't progress well. I think it's better for me to have a solid outline and then go, I think I'll get more done. But what the heck do I know? I'm still trying to figure out how to end a chapter. :)

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Yeah... now i have to find a way to restart my own desire... after getting 6 straight writing days (I take sundays off) of 3000+ words, I only got 180 yesterday. OUCH! :-S :-)

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... now i have to find a way to restart my own desire... after getting 6 straight writing days (I take sundays off) of 3000+ words, I only got 180 yesterday. OUCH! :-S :-)

I know the feeling. The more time I take from writing the harder it is to get back to it. I think if you get anything down at this point, you should pat yourself on the back. It sounds like you're really doing well.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Got a new one up at arkhangelspeaks... and btw... where iz everyone?!

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site http://www.runningempty.info/Jogging-united-states.html Colour code car polish Clip hunter milf veronica The odds on craps Free online memberships to work at home jenna jameson black and white boards message rosacea Fucking short thin small tits jenna jameson pc games mercedes lsg Fuel pump awnings Rough blowjobs Webcams+live

 

Post a Comment

<< Home